Honey Whole Wheat Rolls
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- Additional melted butter, optional
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine butter, honey, egg, whole wheat flour, oats, salt, yeast mixture and 1 cup all-purpose flour; beat on medium speed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough; shape into 15 balls. Place in a greased 13x9-in. pan. Cover with a kitchen towel; let rise in warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes. Preheat oven to 375°.
- Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes. If desired, brush with additional butter. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 roll: 151 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 188mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 15, 2018
Easy to make and quite wholesome. Love the addition of the oatmeal.
May 28, 2018
Wonderful rolls! Great to make for Sunday dinner.
Jan 3, 2017
This my family's favorite roll recipe. They request it on holidays or family get togethers. I make this in my bread machine on the dough cycle. Love, love love it. YUMMY.
Mar 25, 2016
Delicious. Next time I would shape them into smaller rolls.
Sep 7, 2015
Very good! I will use this recipe again.
Feb 9, 2013
What delicious rolls!! They were not difficult to make for this first time wheat bread baker. This recipe will be one I will use again and again.
Apr 11, 2012
Wonderful flavor and texture...recipe is very accurate...only downfall - ate way too much:) I plan to use this recipe often for our church dinners.
Mar 3, 2012
I like this recipes because it's healthy and fast. Also it is just right for 2 people.
May 12, 2011
Love, love, love these rolls! I usually add a little more whole wheat and a little less white flour, they still turn out fantastic!
Mar 24, 2011
I made these while visiting my family in CO...(I used bread flour instead of all-purpose flour and 1/8 cup more water.) They loved them and I will be making these again.