Honey Whole Wheat Pan Rolls
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + chilling Bake: 20 min.
Makes5 dozen (1-1/4 cups honey butter)
- 4 to 5 cups bread flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- HONEY BUTTER:
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 7 tablespoons honey
- HONEY GLAZE:
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups bread flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, heat the milk, butter and water to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Beat in eggs. Stir in whole wheat flour and enough remaining bread flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Cover and let rest 15 minutes.
- Divide dough into thirds. Roll each portion into a 20-in. rope. Cut each into 20 pieces; shape each into a ball. Grease three 9-in. round baking pans; arrange 20 balls in each pan. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/4 hours. Bake at 350° until golden brown, 18-22 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, cream butter. Add honey; beat until light and fluffy. Remove rolls from pans to wire racks. Combine glaze ingredients; brush over warm rolls. Serve with honey butter.
Nutrition Facts1 roll with about 1 teaspoon honey butter: 114 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 107mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
May 19, 2016
This is definitely "a must try" bread recipe.
Feb 4, 2015
I made these for Christmas dinner. I ground my own wheat flour which added to the texture. Everyone said they were the best rolls I have ever made. I have been making rolls for over 40 years, so that is quite the complement.