Soft Buttermilk Dinner Rolls
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + rising Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons warm buttermilk (110° to 115°), divided
- 1/2 cup plus 1 teaspoon softened butter, divided
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups bread flour
- Dissolve yeast in warm water until foamy. In a large bowl, combine 1 cup buttermilk, 1/2 cup butter, egg, sugar, salt and yeast mixture, then add 3 cups flour; beat on medium speed until smooth, 1 minute. Add remaining flour, 1/4 cup at a time, to form a soft dough.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide and shape into 20 balls. Place in a greased 13x9-in. pan. Cover with a kitchen towel; let rise in a warm place until almost doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Brush rolls lightly with remaining buttermilk and butter. Bake until golden brown, 20-25 minutes. Cool in pan 20 minutes. Remove to a wire rack; serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 roll: 165 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 187mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Nov 23, 2019
These rolls are truly the absolute best ever. Super soft and really delicious. Smell so good when they’re baking and come out of the oven.
Jan 1, 2019
Not really a review can u freeze this if so how would you recommend because they won't eat all 20 at Sunday supper so I would like to free 10
Nov 23, 2018
These turned out very nicely. I doubled the recipe and prepared them in a clover leaf pattern. Everyone loved them.
Oct 17, 2018
Dec 27, 2017
One of our favorite dinner rolls! They rise beautifully.
Nov 26, 2017
This is a great recipe! Any tips or suggestions to make these ahead of time and bake just before serving?
Dec 30, 2016
These rolls are so delicious! They are soft and melt in your mouth. The recipe is a keeper. I made them for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners.
Nov 25, 2016
I made these rolls for Thanksgiving dinner and everyone loved them. They were wonderful.
Oct 9, 2016
Really nice rolls with a shaft crust, and moist and light inside. I made 12 sandwich sized rolls rather than dinner rolls, otherwise, no alterations. Will make these again
Oct 3, 2016
shannondobos - how did you incorporate the butter? Is it melted or cut up into small pieces?