Buttery Crescent Rolls
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + rising Bake: 10 min.
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon plus 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar in warm water. Add butter, milk, egg, salt, remaining sugar and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each portion into a 12-in. circle; cut each circle into 12 wedges. Roll up wedges from the wide end and place point side down 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Curve ends to form crescents. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 128 calories, 4g fat (3g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 107mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nov 22, 2019
Has anyone ever successfully made ahead this recipe and frozen either cooked rolls or shaped and froze raw rolls?
Nov 14, 2019
I have made these twice for my family and they love them. I highly recommend this recipe. Just follow the instructions and they’ll be great.
Jan 2, 2019
Made these as I was too lazy to drive the 20 minutes to the store for the canned version and wanted to try a recipe that called for crescent rolls. They were delicious! I made the dough in a bread machine and quickly rolled it out and made one batch as crescent rolls, the other batch is for dinner where I made a taco wreath. Yummy. Highly recommend.
Nov 26, 2015
I made these for our Thanksgiving dinner and I have to admit that they are exceptionally good. I followed the recipe exactly and they were delicious. They are a tender, yeasty roll and so good. I highly recommend this recipe as a Volunteer Field Editor for Taste of Home.
Nov 11, 2014
These were so easy, and very delicious! Thanks for sharing!
Jun 4, 2012
I haven't had to buy a tube of crescent rolls since getting this recipe...this one's a keeper!!
Dec 24, 2011
I've made these many times and every time I get the same positive response! They are absolutely delicious!
Oct 14, 2011
These are easy. I did have a bit of trouble with them unrolling in the oven so some of them weren't as pretty as I would have liked, but they were tasty.
Apr 12, 2011
Wow, so simply. Everyone thinks I worked hard on these. Can't wait to try cinnamon rolls.
Dec 29, 2010
I was a little intimidated to try this recipe but I'm so glad I did! The dough was so easy to work with and the rolls turned out beautiful and delicious. Next time I will double the recipe and put some in the freezer- they will be much requested!