Buttery Crescent Rolls
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + rising Bake: 10 min.
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon plus 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar in warm water. Add butter, milk, egg, salt, remaining sugar and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each portion into a 12-in. circle; cut each circle into 12 wedges. Roll up wedges from the wide end and place point side down 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Curve ends to form crescents. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 128 calories, 4g fat (3g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 107mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 26, 2015
I made these for our Thanksgiving dinner and I have to admit that they are exceptionally good. I followed the recipe exactly and they were delicious. They are a tender, yeasty roll and so good. I highly recommend this recipe as a Volunteer Field Editor for Taste of Home.
Nov 11, 2014
These were so easy, and very delicious! Thanks for sharing!
Jun 4, 2012
I haven't had to buy a tube of crescent rolls since getting this recipe...this one's a keeper!!
Dec 24, 2011
I've made these many times and every time I get the same positive response! They are absolutely delicious!
Oct 14, 2011
These are easy. I did have a bit of trouble with them unrolling in the oven so some of them weren't as pretty as I would have liked, but they were tasty.
Apr 12, 2011
Wow, so simply. Everyone thinks I worked hard on these. Can't wait to try cinnamon rolls.
Dec 29, 2010
I was a little intimidated to try this recipe but I'm so glad I did! The dough was so easy to work with and the rolls turned out beautiful and delicious. Next time I will double the recipe and put some in the freezer- they will be much requested!
Dec 1, 2010
Best ever bun recipe! I've used it for butterhorns, cinnamon buns and tray buns. Yummy, yummy, yummy!
Nov 30, 2010
This was my first time making Butterhorns. The dough is easy to work with.
Sep 20, 2010
I have made these rolls constantly since getting the August/September 2010 issue - my absolute favorite! And I, like Kelly Kirby, must double the recipe! I have even made cinnamon rolls with the dough, yum!!! Off to make some more...