Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 15 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/2 cups warm buttermilk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Beat in the buttermilk, oil, sugar, salt, baking soda and 2 cups of flour until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch dough down. Divide into 18 pieces; roll into balls. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire racks.
Editor's NoteWarmed buttermilk will appear curdled.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 185 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 188mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Mar 22, 2018
Jun 1, 2016
Great flavor! I wasn't gentle enough to the yeast, but even though the rolls didn't rise as much as I had anticipated, they were still addictive and a great addition to dinner. To future makers of this recipe, make sure the liquids are the same temperature or barely warmer than your inner wrist, or else it will be too warm for the yeast.
Sep 15, 2015
I made these as directed and they turned out great. The crusty outside was thin and easy to bite into and the inside was the perfect density and very soft. There was also a little more flavor than the average white roll.
Jun 20, 2012
These were very good. They tasted like they were between a biscuit and a roll. Different. I buttered them on the outside when they came out of the oven.
Mar 28, 2011
I made these for a Church function, they went fast and I got lots of raves from them. They were easy to make.
Mar 3, 2011
My family loved these rolls!! I used whole wheat flour and they were delicious. I definitely plan to make them again.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.