Stollen Butter Rolls
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + rising Bake: 15 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4-1/4 to 4-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup chopped mixed candied fruit
- 3/4 cup dried currants
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cut into 24 pieces (1 teaspoon each)
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine milk, eggs, butter, sugar, salt, yeast mixture and 3 cups flour; beat on medium speed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; turn onto a floured surface. Knead candied fruit and currants into dough (knead in more flour if necessary). Divide and shape into 24 balls; flatten slightly. Place 1 teaspoon cold butter in center of each circle. Fold circles in half over butter; press edges to seal. Place in a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Cover with a kitchen towel; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Bake until golden brown, 15-20 minutes. Cool in pan 5 minutes; serve warm.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled rolls in airtight containers. To use, microwave each muffin on high until warmed, 30-45 seconds.
Nutrition Facts1 roll: 198 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 178mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 23, 2018
If there was a 6 star rating, these stollen rolls deserve them! Delicious, yummy and easy to make. A keeper of a recipe. And a smart idea from the other reviewer about adding different dried fruit. I’m going to try it.
Dec 7, 2018
These are wonderful to admire and easy to make..I added red and green cherries, apricots, dates, raisins and cranberries. ..you can add any fruit you like..they make excellent breakfast buns.