Whole Wheat Honey Rolls
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 15 min.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm buttermilk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/3 cup honey
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Additional melted butter
- HONEY BUTTER:
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup honey
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm buttermilk. Add the butter, honey, whole wheat flour, salt and baking soda. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into seven portions. Divide each portion into six pieces; shape each into a ball. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Brush with melted butter. Bake at 400° for 12-16 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. In a small bowl, beat butter and honey until smooth; serve with rolls.
Editor's NoteWarmed buttermilk will appear curdled.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 128 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 165mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nov 28, 2013
Just polished of a few of these gems. They were light, flavorful and just sweet enough. I do need a tad more salt though. Definitely a keeper of a recipe!
Nov 23, 2012
Family raved about this as rolls and loaves of bread!
Jul 11, 2011
my family loves this and they are so easy to make
Jun 17, 2011
These rolls are A++ in every way. I had to use the entire 2 1/2 cups of all purpose flour. I also added 2 tablespoons of wheat gluten like usual when I make bread without bread flour. The rolls have excellent texture and flavor.
Apr 1, 2011
Wow! Absolutely loved these! They were perfect in every way. The honey butter is also delicious and so simple.
Mar 27, 2011
Delicious without the honey butter! My new go-to recipe for fabulous buns!