Yogurt Yeast Rolls
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 15 min.
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/2 cups plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Additional melted butter, optional
- In a large bowl, combine whole wheat flour, 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, yeast, salt and baking soda. In a saucepan over low heat, heat yogurt, water, butter and honey to 120°-130°. Pour over dry ingredients; blend well. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Add enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 24 portions. Roll each into a 10-in. rope. Shape rope into an “S”, then coil each end until it touches the center. Place 3 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 400°.
- Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes. If desired, brush tops with additional butter while warm. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 roll: 115 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 245mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Mar 2, 2015
Best Ever !!"I first found this recipe in my sample taste of home about 3 years ago still making them today i even make it as a bread they stay very soft for many days love it :)