Strawberry-Pecan Yeast Rolls
These treats are so good! The strawberry filling, creamy glaze and crunchy nuts balance the sweet yeast rolls perfectly. My family loves to eat them as much as I enjoy making them. —Annie Thomas, Michigan, Mississippi
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + rising Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup strawberry preserves
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, heat milk, oil and honey to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add egg; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; turn onto a lightly floured surface. Divide in half; roll each portion into a 15x10-in. rectangle. Spread butter to within 1/2 in. of edges; spread with strawberry preserves. Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over preserves.
- Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seams to seal. Cut each roll into 12 slices. Place cut side down in 2 greased 15x10x1-in. baking pans. Cover and let rise until almost doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° until golden brown, 25-30 minutes. Cool for 20 minutes. For glaze, in a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and extract until smooth. Add enough milk to achieve desired consistency; drizzle over rolls. Sprinkle with pecans.
Nutrition Facts1 roll: 202 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 139mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Strawberry-Pecan Rolls in Country Woman Christmas 2006