Cottage Cheese Yeast Rolls
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 10 min./batch
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 cups 4% cottage cheese
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a small saucepan, heat cottage cheese to 110°-115°. Add the cottage cheese, eggs, sugar, salt, baking soda and 2 cups flour to yeast mixture. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 30 pieces. Shape each piece into a roll. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 91 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 244mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jan 16, 2019
Delicious! We loved these rolls, will make again!
Nov 21, 2018
I first made these with my grandmother back in 1974, wonderful. All my family insist I make them every holiday. The dough is pretty sticky but this is the way it should be. Light, fluffy and moist.
Sep 28, 2017
Mar 6, 2014
Awesome rolls! Very tender and moist! I made this recipe in my bread machine on the dough cycle (I did need to add several extra tablespoons of flour & even then, the dough was pretty sticky) and baked in the oven after proofing. I made larger buns to use for sandwiches for a meal after our church's Ash Wednesday service. I will definitely make these again! They would make spectacular hamburger buns as well!
Nov 22, 2012
I have been making these rolls on special occasions for the last three years (at least). I have never heard people fuss over dinner rolls much before but these rolls make the unsuspecting guest go gaga. They became an instant tradition in our family; kids and adults can't wait to grab one. They are tender and somewhat rich in flavor due to the cottage cheese. Homemade bread is never a breeze to make, but if you enjoy the 2-3 hour homemade bread making process this is a recipe worth trying. Plus, the leftovers reheat easily (throw in a 350F oven for a minute or two).
Sep 30, 2012
These are wonderful, have had the recipe for.several years. I've made them several times. Yum!