Lemon Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Beat in eggs and extract. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in lemon zest.
- Spread into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until center is set and edges are golden brown. Cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Beat in confectioners' sugar, lemon juice and zest. Frost bars. Store in the refrigerator.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 bar: 243 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 59mg cholesterol, 145mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Feb 23, 2020
As the recipe sits right now, it's very disappointing. It definitely needs some sort of leavening added to it. Wish I had thought of that before I tried to bake it!
Jan 20, 2020
Something is wrong with this recipe! Followed it exactly, and it was a complete mess. There’s no leavening-is that a mistake? Baked it much longer without success. On a positive note, the frosting is delicious.
Dec 11, 2019
The flavor is wonderful, however the bars didn't rise as much as shown in the picture. It was a runny mess. Maybe it needs some leavening.