Relates Becky Duncan of Leming, Texas, "I stock up on locally grown berries for treats like this pie, which pairs them with pecans." She's received a ribbon from the Strawberry Festival food show at nearby Poteet.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups chopped fresh strawberries
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons butter
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, flour, nutmeg and cinnamon. Add strawberries and pecans; toss gently.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll one half of dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate. Add filling. Dot with butter.
- Roll remaining dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; cut into 1/2-in.-wide strips. Arrange over filling in a lattice pattern. Trim and seal strips to edge of bottom pastry; flute edge. Bake at 375° for 50-55 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 529 calories, 26g fat (8g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 215mg sodium, 72g carbohydrate (41g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Strawberry-Pecan Pie in Taste of Home June/July 1995
Jun 6, 2013
Excellent. I've made this several times and love it
May 8, 2008
This recipe calls for a double-crust pastry... Where in the directions does it say to put on the top lattice crust that I see in the picture??