Easy Yeast Rolls
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + rising Bake: 15 min.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine sugar, egg, oil, salt, yeast mixture and 4 cups flour; beat on medium speed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into four portions. Divide and shape each portion into 12 balls. Roll each ball into an 8-in. rope; tie into a loose knot. Tuck ends under. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 roll: 78 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 100mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
May 13, 2020
Thought these were good, but not as good as my regular potato rolls or challah bread rolls. Used vegetable oil instead of canola as I don't like the taste of canola very well.Might make again..
Sep 26, 2019
Ran this recipe thru an online nutrition calculator...Sodium count is double what's listed here.
Feb 7, 2019
This is surely one of the best recipes i have come across. I haven't attempted yeast rolls yet, so i thought to give it a try! Found this recipe first, and it Came out perfect, first try !
May 31, 2018
These are awesome! I made a double recipe this time and these are really easy to make.
Aug 20, 2017
This was my first time making rolls from scratch, the instructions were easy to follow, my two year old grandson helped and loved them, he had three before supper and another one with his supper, this is definitely a recipe I want to keep
Feb 7, 2016
Really easy and taste great. I have started making this most Sundays.
Jun 7, 2015
I had not made a bread recipe that required kneading in over 10 years thanks to the invention of the bread machine. I was in the mood to try it the "old fashioned" way and tried this recipe. These rolls are delicious and very easy!
Mar 17, 2015
So E-Z to make, & so good!!! I'm making them again tonite!!!Linda Kennedy Swafford, Alabama
Dec 23, 2014
These rolls are light in texture and have a good flavor, but the dough is not easy to work with. I put 6 1/2 cups of flour in the mix and used more to knead with. I made plain rolls as the dough was too sticky to make ropes, and difficult to portion out for a roll. Because of this I only got 33 rolls. I will try the recipe again and hope for better results with the dough.The recipe was easy to mix up, just difficult to make the finished roll.
Nov 26, 2014
Really easy and really good !! I threw these together in no time flat and used the EXACT recipe. They turned out wonderful ! THIS is the recipe I will be using every time now....