Easy Batter Rolls
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 15 min.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- Melted butter
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a saucepan, heat water and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat until blended. Add egg; beat on low speed for 30 seconds, then on high for 3 minutes. Stir in remaining flour (batter will be stiff). Do not knead. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Stir dough down. Fill 12 greased muffin cups half full. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 15 minutes.
- Bake at 350° until golden brown, 15-20 minutes. Cool for 1 minute before removing from pan to a wire rack. Brush tops with melted butter.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled rolls in airtight containers. To use, microwave each roll on high until warmed, 30-45 seconds.
Nutrition Facts1 roll: 147 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 219mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Apr 6, 2019
Is it really 2 packages of yeast? Lori Schrank
Dec 13, 2018
So simple and so good! I brushed the tops with garlic butter and served them with pasta and sauce.
Nov 20, 2018
I have not been good with yeast in the past....ever.....But I keep trying. These turned out perfectly. I will stop looking for better recipes. The only thing I did differently was sprinkled a little sea salt on them after the melted butter. EXCELLENT !!!!!!! The best part (other than they tasted sublime) was that they took so little time.
Nov 11, 2018
Easy and delicious. I sprinkled Italian panko crumbs on top of melted butter. Thank you, Thomasina for sharing this recipe.
Feb 11, 2015
I can't see how anyone would be disappointed with this recipe. Since I found it early last year, I've stuck with it as it's absolutely easy and the results are amazing. Am hoping to find a baked donut recipe.
Feb 1, 2015
I wanted a yeast roll but I was short on time to make my regular recipe. These are really quick and turned out good. Not my as good as my go to recipe, but comes pretty close. Considering my prep/rise/bake time was cut in half, I was thrilled with the recipe. I would definitely make these again if I was short on time. I did not think they were salty or flat. Mine were fluffy and rose quite well. My husband who grew up on homemade bread every day really liked these rolls. I would not have a problem serving them to company.
Jan 24, 2015
Was hopeing this was close to my mother's receipe but was disappointed ,they turned out to salty and flat. One my Mother had the batter was thin and rose all way up to edge of bowl. If anyone has the recipe I am looking for please e-mail me at [email protected]
Aug 25, 2014
Just found my go to roll recipe, for when I am short on time. Delish!
Aug 20, 2012
These were easy and wonderful!!
Jul 12, 2011
I love how easy and delicious these rolls turned out to be.