Sweet Milk Dinner Rolls
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 35 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add the sugar, butter, salt and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a floured surface; divide into 16 pieces. Shape each into a ball. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Serve warm.
Nov 29, 2014
I am going yo try these again...something didn't go quite right. I had to cook them in 2 batches....the first got way to done/dry, though still had a good taste - baked at 350F for 20 minutes, like I saw suggested in the reviews. The second batch was less dry and tasted better, and my husband actually said they were good...but I baked those for only 14 minutes @ 320F. Not sure what happened, I'm going to try a little less flour so there is more moisture and maybe kneed them a little longer. I'll let you know what I find out. ( :
Dec 27, 2012
These were a hit at Christmas dinner! As written, the recipe does make some pretty monstrous rolls, so you might consider dividing into at least 20 pieces instead of 16. And the baking time is much longer than was needed! I think mine baked in 20-25 minutes.
Nov 23, 2012
I have made these rolls at least three times...they're delicious! (I do shorten the bake time as they are a bit dry when baked for 35 minutes.)
Dec 31, 2011
These rolls are addictive! They are so wonderful fresh from the oven, or even zapped in the microwave for a few seconds to warm the next day. The first time I made these, I followed the directions, however, that made for some pretty large rolls. The next couple of times, I made them smaller--even made them into smaller balls to fit inside typical muffin pans. I prefer them in the smaller muffin-pan size. Regardless, these will be eaten FAST! They are very easy to make and very delicious.
Nov 9, 2011
Fantastic flavor and so incredibly easy to work with! I didn't even have time to let them raise for the entire time, and they still turned out wonderful! They're a tender roll with just a hint of sweetness. Delicious!
Nov 1, 2011
I like this recipe very much. It is easy to make and need few, simple ingredients. Perfect for a dinner!
Sep 21, 2011
Not sweet at all not light and fluffy. I bake almost everyday so I know my stuff and I thought let me try someone elses recipe for sweet dinner rolls, I wont make that mistake again they are very heavy not dinner rolls at all. I will stick to my own recipes.
Jul 16, 2011
Beautiful dough to work with! I made 24 crescent shaped rolls and brushed them with melted butter after baking. Absolutely delicious! Will make these again and again!
Feb 23, 2011
Delicious, and my kids love to help me form the rolls.
Feb 6, 2011
Very tasty!! Easy to substitute with diet friendly ingredients.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.