Christmas Morning Sweet Rolls
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling Bake: 20 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 5 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons eggnog
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine sugar, salt, 1 cup flour, oil, egg and the yeast mixture; beat on medium speed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Do not knead. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- For filling, in a small bowl, mix sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Punch down dough; turn onto a lightly floured surface. Roll into a 18x8-in. rectangle. Spread with butter to within 1/2 in. of edges; sprinkle with sugar mixture. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Cut into 12 slices.
- Place in a greased 13x9-in. baking pan, cut side down. Cover with a kitchen towel; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Bake until golden brown, 20-25 minutes. Place on a wire rack to cool slightly. Beat confectioners’ sugar, butter, cinnamon, vanilla and enough eggnog to reach desired consistency; spread over warm rolls.
Test Kitchen tip
Nutrition Facts1 roll: 424 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 267mg sodium, 72g carbohydrate (39g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 29, 2018
wonderful!!!!! I only used 3 cups of flour .. then added a T. spoon of water, but depending on the flour as to how much. I says it is "stickie" and with the 3 cups it was. With this much iceing was to much you could easiely use the 2 C. sugar instead of the 21/2C, and I added more nutmeg to the eggnog!! and it was a HIT!! So it is a 5 star from my house whole!!!