Favorite Frosted Cinnamon Rolls
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 10 min. + cooling
- 5 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) quick-rise yeast
- 2-1/2 cups warm water (120° to 130°)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- In a large bowl, combine 4 cups flour, cake mix, yeast and warm water until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each portion into a 14x10-in. rectangle. Brush with butter; sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon.
- Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side. Cut each roll into 12 slices; place cut side down in two greased 13x9-in. baking pans. Cover and let rise until almost doubled, about 20 minutes.
- Bake at 400° for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 20 minutes. For frosting, in a large bowl, cream the butter, confectioners' sugar and vanilla and enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Frost warm rolls.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 304 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 185mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Jan 1, 2018
One of my favorite cinnamon roll recipes as it is super easy to stir up. I absolutely love the cake mix in these. I did add more sugar and cinnamon .
Sep 16, 2016
I have made these many times and they come out great. I have given this recipe to people who don't use yeast well and they have told me that they are not as scare of yeast now.
Dec 6, 2015
These were made for the first time on Thanksgiving morning. They took three hours from start to finish, but the finished results were WELL worth the time! They were delicious!
Jun 28, 2014
the concept of using cake mix was good, the color was nice, the dough was light and fluffy, the taste however was a little disappointing.
May 24, 2014
These are the absolute easiest and best tasting cinnamon rolls I have ever made and my cinnamon roll guests loved them. I used Butter Pecan cake mix. Thanks for the wonderful recipe!
May 19, 2014
We have made these twice and everyone who ate them have said they are some of the best home made cinnamon rolls they have ever had. I like to add cream cheese frosting to them but they are sweet enough to eat without it
Jan 5, 2014
This were excellent. I did add some cream cheese to the frosting mix and gave it a nice touch.
Dec 30, 2013
Dec 28, 2013
Very good cinnamon roll recipe, family loved it. It took about three hours from start to finish.
Dec 26, 2013
I made these for Christmas breakfast this year. Preparation time was much longer than 30 minutes and the rolls didn't taste as good as they looked.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.