Cornmeal Parker House Rolls
My mom deserves the credit for making this recipe a family tradition. These sweet tender rolls have been on every holiday table at her house for as long as I can remember. —Lisa D. Brenner, Harrisburg, Nebraska
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + rising Bake: 15 min.
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 4-1/2 to 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Optional: Olive oil and balsamic vinegar
- In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the sugar, cornmeal and salt. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 5-10 minutes or until thickened. Cool to 110°-115°.
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add eggs and cornmeal mixture. Beat in enough flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll out to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Brush with melted butter.
- Using the dull edge of a table knife, make an off-center crease in each roll. Fold along crease so the large half is on top; press along folded edge. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with melted butter. Remove from pans to wire racks. If desired, serve with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
Nutrition FactsNutrition Facts: 1 roll equals 137 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 26 mg cholesterol, 122 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.