Spicy Cheeseburger Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
Makes8 servings (about 2 quarts)
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 2 small carrots, grated
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound ground beef, cooked and drained
- 2-1/2 cups whole milk, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 8 ounces process American cheese, cubed
- 1/4 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- In a large saucepan, combine the first nine ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in beef and 2 cups of milk; heat through. Combine flour and remaining milk until smooth; gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; stir in cheese until melted. Add cayenne
- pepper if desired. Top with bacon just before serving.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 351 calories, 20g fat (10g saturated fat), 81mg cholesterol, 1063mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 22g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 17, 2019
Wow! One of the best soups ever! Super simple to make and smelled fabulous while making it. My family didn't even want to wait until "dinner time" to eat, so we had an early dinner just as soon as this was ready. Definitely adding this to our favorites.
Apr 20, 2019
Very tasty, I like the fact that it makes a small batch. Just enough spice for great flavor.
Feb 16, 2019
Really good flavor, I added more of all the vegetables except the jalapeño. Added a bit more water so everything would cook. Doubled the meat, left the rest the same. Used a vidalia chopper to make perfect little cubes of potatoes
Mar 5, 2018
This soup is filling and tasty. The spiciness is just right for us.
Sep 20, 2016
YUMM!!!! Will make this again soon!!! I did add a little more water for cooking the veggies, but kept everything else the same! Delicious!
Mar 17, 2016
YUM! Super cheesy! Love it! No more to say!
May 2, 2015
Best. Soup. Ever.My go-to comfort food..every week!
Feb 15, 2015
A classic cheeseburger taste in a soup! This creative soup is a meal in itself. As a volunteer food editor with Taste of Home I love recipes with a creative twist. Spice level was good with my family but would caution to start small with cayenne pepper, a little goes a long way! Perfect soup for a winter night!
Jan 10, 2015
Oct 6, 2014
This soup rocks! My hubby asks specifically for this soup often, and it's'a fairly easy to whip up!