Easy Chicken Tamale Pie
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 7 hours
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (11 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) enchilada sauce
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Optional toppings: sour cream, salsa and minced fresh cilantro
- In a large skillet, cook chicken over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles. Stir in seasonings.
- Transfer to a 4-qt. slow cooker. Stir in beans, tomatoes, corn, enchilada sauce, green onions and cilantro. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until heated through.
- In a small bowl, combine muffin mix and eggs; spoon over chicken mixture. Cook, covered, on low 1-1-1/2 hours longer or until a toothpick inserted in corn bread layer comes out clean.
- Sprinkle with cheese; let stand, covered, 5 minutes. If desired, serve with toppings.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 359 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 110mg cholesterol, 1021mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 5g fiber), 20g protein.
Feb 9, 2017
I used ground venison instead. This is a wonderful healthy recipe!
Jan 21, 2017
Don't know what I did wrong, but I followed the recipe exctly! Mine turned out pretty bland. Won't be trying trying this again.
Nov 15, 2015
Fabulous every time we have this for dinner. I have used both the crockpot and the oven with a 9x13 pan--never disappointed! My husband says that we can have this dish every week...it's that tasty!
Apr 22, 2015
This is oh so yummy! Great slow cooker recipe!!!!!
Mar 10, 2015
Nov 8, 2014
My family really liked this. I loved that you use the slow cooker for it. Saves time and makes it easier to get dinner on the table.
Nov 5, 2014
Made this recipe last night while camping-INCREDIBLE!
Aug 20, 2014
My whole family loved it and it was easy.
Jun 22, 2014
This was certainly quick and easy recipe for lazy days of summer or any other times. Very good recipe, but I did have to up the spices a little more after tasting the dish throughout it's cooking time. Thanks for sharing.
Jun 12, 2014
Delicious! However I did not use a slow cooker. I just baked in oven on 375 until the cornbread was done.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.