Easy Chicken Tamale Pie
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 7 hours
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (11 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) enchilada sauce
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) cornbread/muffin mix
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Optional toppings: Sour cream, salsa and minced fresh cilantro
- In a large skillet, cook chicken over medium heat until no longer pink, 6-8 minutes, breaking into crumbles. Stir in seasonings.
- Transfer to a 4-qt. slow cooker. Stir in beans, tomatoes, corn, enchilada sauce, green onions and cilantro. Cook, covered, on low until heated through, 6-8 hours.
- In a small bowl, combine muffin mix and eggs; spoon over chicken mixture. Cook, covered, on low until a toothpick inserted in cornbread layer comes out clean, 1-1-1/2 hours longer.
- Sprinkle with cheese; let stand, covered, 5 minutes. If desired, serve with toppings.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 359 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 110mg cholesterol, 1021mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 5g fiber), 20g protein.
May 21, 2020
I have made this three times and each time the cornbread topping is not done! Tonight after it cooking for 2 hrs and it was still not done I've taken if off - put it in a dish and its in the oven to finish cooking. Good recipe except for the cornbread topping - whats the secret????
May 6, 2020
LOVE THIS RECIPE AND IT'S MY FAMILY FAVORITE! I SOMETIMES USE GROUND PORK, BEEF AND TURKEY.
May 2, 2020
After two hours on low the cornbread was a soupy mass floating on top. What is the secret to getting the cornbread to "cook"?
Apr 7, 2020
Absolutely loved it. I actually did mine with beef. Added pace restaurant salsa as a garnish with sour cream. I can’t get enough of it.
Jun 30, 2019
My husband made this for the title said "easy". Which it was, but not flavorful. We missed the chili powder flavor in "our recipe". Grass-fed Black Angus Ground Chuck was used. When it was time to put the cornmeal in (we used homemade) there was a lot of liquid, so baked the cornbread in the oven. Sadly, it didn't make a great meal, but it was "okay" just wasn't our tastings.
Nov 26, 2018
My wife and I both thought this was delirious. I used ground beef rather than chicken, just 'cause. Will definitely make again and again.
Nov 23, 2018
For additional flavor, I often use salsa rather than Enchilada sauce. Husband likes it better.
Feb 9, 2017
I used ground venison instead. This is a wonderful healthy recipe!
Jan 21, 2017
Don't know what I did wrong, but I followed the recipe exctly! Mine turned out pretty bland. Won't be trying trying this again.
Nov 15, 2015
Fabulous every time we have this for dinner. I have used both the crockpot and the oven with a 9x13 pan--never disappointed! My husband says that we can have this dish every week...it's that tasty!