Slow-Cooked Tamale Casserole
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 envelope chili seasoning
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. In a large bowl, combine the egg, milk and cornmeal until smooth. Add corn, tomatoes, olives, chili seasoning, seasoned salt and beef.
- Transfer to a greased 3-qt. slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 3 hours and 45 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese; cover and cook 15 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 386 calories, 17g fat (9g saturated fat), 101mg cholesterol, 1255mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 4g fiber), 24g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 17, 2014
Great recipe, easy to make, I added a 4 oz. can of green chilies, a piece of jalapeno diced, taco seasoning, ancho seasoning, annato seasoning, garlic and onion powder, kosher salt, paprika and cayenne pepper instead of chili seasoning and season salt. Loved it !! Making it again tonight with pinto beans. Awesome with a white Mexican crumble cheese!!
Mar 26, 2014
Instead of season salt I used red pepper flakes, that spiced it up real nice
Oct 5, 2013
This was very simple to put together which makes it great when you don't have a lot of time but to me I felt like it was missing something in flavor. Maybe it needed to be spicy since my family loves spicy dishes or maybe more cheesy. This is something I would try again but next time I'll be adding something to the dish.
Aug 5, 2013
This one is a keeper.
Jul 30, 2013
Lacked flavor compared to the recipe I've been holding on for years that I got off a corn meal box. I would, although make my usual recipe in the crock pot next time.
Dec 29, 2011
John loved this recipe
Oct 15, 2011
I and my family love this, I added a medium onion,1/2 green & red pepper cut into the beef & cooked together, black beans & 1 jalepeno & 1 chili pepper for a little spice. And yes mine to burned some on the side but that is the best part with a little crunch added withot the burnt taste.
Oct 7, 2011
I have made this several times and my family LOVES it. I have tried it with chicken as well as beef - we love both. Also, we substitute black beans in place of the olives. :) YUMMY!
Sep 1, 2011
Very bland and mushy. My family did not like.
Sep 21, 2010
On a special diet and can't use milk so I used half and half. It did burn on the sides. Did anyone have this problem? If so what did you do? I think my slow cooker cooks fast also.