Skillet Beef Tamales
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/3 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 cups salsa
- 3/4 cup frozen corn
- 2 tablespoons water
- 6 corn tortillas (6 inches), halved and cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 5 tablespoons fat-free sour cream
- In a large skillet coated with cooking spray, cook beef and peppers over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until beef is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, breaking up beef into crumbles; drain. Stir in salsa, corn and water; bring to a boil.
- Stir in tortilla strips. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 10-15 minutes or until tortillas are softened. Sprinkle with cheese; cook, covered, 2-3 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Serve with sour cream.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled meat mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Serve with sour cream.
Nutrition Facts1 cup meat mixture with 1 tablespoon sour cream: 329 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 59mg cholesterol, 679mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 6g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Jul 25, 2019
Thank you basketcaz for the information. I was looking for a simplified "tamale" recipe when I clicked on this one, especially since it did not look like anything resembling one, only to be disappointed. Thank you for calling them out on this one! Now, do you have a simplified recipe for tamales, a faux tamale, PLEAzzzze?
Apr 1, 2019
This is great. Really quick and easy and delicious as well. We've made it using corn or flour tortillas. Both are great, though we do like the flour tortillas a little more. Wheat flour tortillas are great as well.
Dec 3, 2018
This is basically a cut up burrito. It's overall very mushy, and does not resemble a tamale at all. Directions are also poorly written.
Sep 27, 2018
Great Recipe. It was very easy and really yummy.
Mar 25, 2018
Thanks for the recipe. Our family enjoyed it, and it's good to know it's healthy and economical.
Mar 8, 2018
I didn't have peppers, so I had to leave them out. I added some chopped onion. I didn't use the reduced-fat cheese. Instead I used part cheddar cheese and part Pepper Jack cheese. I also added some green chilies. This was quick and very good. It's one of those versatile recipes that will take substitutions well. I will make this again.
Feb 25, 2018
Very easy to make. Good comfort food.
Jan 29, 2018
FANTASTIC! Excellent flavor with no added seasonings. I used a variety of green, red, yellow and orange peppers. Loved it! It is also quick and easy to prepare.
Oct 31, 2017
I make this a lot. My family loves it. I add onions with the peppers, season with Lawry's Seasoned Salt, cayenne pepper (to taste) and a few drops of liquid smoke. I serve with sour cream, sharp cheddar, shredded lettuce and tortilla chips. Great reheated. I have frozen it and reheated it with no problems as well.
Jun 3, 2017
Easy to make! We loved it. We call this shoveling food.We will definitely make again!!