Chicken Tamale Bake
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 25 min. + standing
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) cornbread/muffin mix
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 2 cups coarsely shredded cooked chicken
- 1 can (10 ounces) enchilada sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1-3/4 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Chopped green onions, tomatoes and avocado, optional
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake until light golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 15-18 minutes.
- In a large skillet, combine chicken, enchilada sauce, cumin and onion powder; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes. Spread over cornbread layer; sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake until cheese is melted, 10-12 minutes longer. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. If desired, top with green onions, tomatoes and avocado.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 364 calories, 17g fat (7g saturated fat), 81mg cholesterol, 851mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 4g fiber), 21g protein.
Sep 5, 2019
Made recipe exactly as printed. Liked the recipe very much. I divided the recipe between two 8” square pans and froze the second one for another meal. Will see how it comes out.
Nov 15, 2018
EXCELLENT!!! Loved this recipe and the family loved it too. Will be making again and again!
Mar 25, 2018
Wow! I was pleasantly surprised at how good this was! My husband, my daughter and I each had two servings tonight. It's a lot of food for a 3-person household, but I think the leftovers will be gone within a couple of days. I topped it with sliced black olives, thinly-sliced green onions and diced tomato after removing it from the oven and letting it sit for 10 minutes, and served it with Mexican rice. Will definitely make this again.
Jan 4, 2018
This was so so so good! For the shredded chicken, I cooked cubed chicken breast in a pan with some olive oil. When it was done I "shredded" it with a fork. I omitted the green chilies because I have trouble with spicy food. Other than that, I cooked it as-is. It was delicious. I topped ours with tomato, green bell pepper, onion, and sour cream (for me) to balance out the mild spices of the enchilada sauce. I can't wait to make this one again!
Aug 18, 2016
Interesting take on tamales and easy enough to though together. We added sour cream, chopped green onions and shredded cheese on the side. It was tasty, but wasn't a giant hit.
Jun 29, 2016
Very easy to make, and quite tasty! I left out some of the spice to fit my family's preferences, but you could easily make this medium or hot, depending on the enchilada sauce used. I'll make this one again!
Apr 17, 2016
The Chicken Tamale Bake was a big hit with my crew!