Muffin-Tin Tamale Cakes
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2 packages (8-1/2 ounces each) corn bread/muffin mix
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 2 large eggs, room temperature, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend, divided
- 1-1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken breast
- 3/4 cup red enchilada sauce
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, combine muffin mix, corn and eggs; stir just until moistened. Stir in 1 cup cheese. In another bowl, toss chicken with enchilada sauce.
- Fill each of 24 foil-lined muffin cups with 2 tablespoons batter. Place 1 tablespoon chicken mixture into center of each; cover with about 1 tablespoon batter.
- Bake until golden brown, 13-15 minutes. Sprinkle tops with remaining cheese. Bake until cheese is melted, 3-5 minutes longer. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pan to wire racks. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 muffin: 137 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 313mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat.
Mar 28, 2018
I had to make 1-1/2 times the recipe to make 24 and I used a scoop I confirmed was 1 Tablespoon. But taste was good. I think some diced green chilies in cornbread would be nice. Try poaching your chicken in broth and herbs to add flavor. A definite make again recipe.
Jan 1, 2017
These were not bad, but very bland, and to my mind the chicken didn't add anything at all. I would just make the cornbread mix. Won't be making it again.
Feb 18, 2016
Super easy. I put more chicken in the middle and put more of hte batter on top making 18 instead of 24. Love these.
Oct 27, 2015
These were good, but base on my family's "ho-hum" reaction, I probably won't be making them again. They were nice and moist just not much flavor.
Sep 18, 2015
I loved these! The combination of the chicken and cornbread was delicious and so much easier than trying to make tamales. Yum!
Sep 4, 2015
These are okay, but nothing special. I would rather just make cornbread. Plus the chicken turned pink from the red sauce and even though I KNOW the chicken was already cooked, pink chicken is freaky....