Corn bread is very popular in this part of the country as a complement to soup. These muffins are really easy to make and have good texture and flavor!
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cream-style corn
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- In a small bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Make a well in the center. Add the remaining ingredients; stir just until blended. Spoon into greased muffin cups.
- Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove to a wire rack; serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 189 calories, 7g fat (0 saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 434mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
Originally published as Cornmeal Muffins in Country October/November 1991
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.