Black Bean Tamale Pie
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) cornbread/muffin mix
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Sour cream and sliced ripe olives, optional
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in beans and salsa; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the muffin mix, milk, egg and 1 cup cheese. Pour into a greased 9-in. pie plate. Bake at 375° for 5-6 minutes.
- Spoon beef mixture over crust, leaving a 1/2-in. edge. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 1-2 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Serve with sour cream and olives if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 338 calories, 14g fat (8g saturated fat), 78mg cholesterol, 691mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 4g fiber), 17g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 23, 2017
Delicious and simple! Will definitely make again!
Dec 14, 2014
I used the ground beef, didn't change a thing on the recipe and it was so good!!!!!!!
Jun 21, 2014
Mar 16, 2014
I added taco seasoning to the ground beef, as well. My pie pan overflowed in the oven, but I think I just used too small of a pan. Oh, well - it still tasted delicious!
Mar 16, 2014
VERY GOOD AND EASY TO MAKE
Nov 14, 2013
Loved this... I made it with Boca crumbles instead of ground beef for a yummy vegetarian dish. I'll make it again with ground beef, though, when my vegetarian son isn't home. I also added a half-can of corn. I used a 9.5 inch pie plate and there was almost enough filling for a second pie!
Nov 12, 2013
EXCELLENT!!! Next time I am going to add some creamed corn to the muffin mix-yummy!!
Nov 9, 2013
When I went to the cupbord I saw that I did no thave any black beans so I used a can of red beans in chili sauce instead and it was very good. I added taco seasoning to the burger mixture and topped with chopped geen onion and lime juice.
Nov 8, 2013
Excellent and easy to make
Nov 7, 2013
Overall the dish was really good. I followed the recipe as stated & added a little corn because we love black bean/corn combinations! The bottom of the dish was a little mushy, from the salsa I guess so it made it a little difficult to serve nicely. I think it needed some more spice. For toppings, we used shredded lettuce, sour cream & hot pepper cheese. Next time think I'll add some jalepenos too...Will make again, but will def tweak the recipe.