Green Bean Mushroom Pie
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2-1/2 cups chopped onions
- 6 cups cut fresh green beans (1-inch pieces)
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms in 1 tablespoon butter until tender; drain and set aside. In the same skillet, saute onions and beans in remaining butter for 18-20 minutes or until beans are crisp-tender. Add the thyme, salt, pepper, cream cheese, milk and mushrooms. Cook and stir until the cheese is melted. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, dill and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in sour cream to form a soft dough.
- Divide dough in half. On a well-floured surface, roll out one portion to fit a deep-dish 9-in. pie plate; trim pastry even with edge.
- Pour green bean mixture into crust. Roll out remaining pastry; make a lattice crust. Trim, seal and flute edge.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg and cream; brush over lattice top. Bake at 400° for 25-35 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 503 calories, 37g fat (23g saturated fat), 127mg cholesterol, 587mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 9g protein.
Oct 8, 2017
Delicious recipe! I made this for the first time, years ago. This is one I never forgot.
Nov 17, 2012
This has replaced our green bean casserole on Thanksgiving. It is a little time consuming but it is hands down the best! My husband took one bite and insisted I make it every year. I can't wait to make it again!!
Sep 28, 2011
I love this pie. I made it several years ago when it first appeared in your magazine. I just get a craving for it every once in awhile. So different! Yummy!
Sep 28, 2011
I love this pie, I get a craving for it every once in a while. I made it when it appeared in you magazine many years ago.
Nov 16, 2010
This is sooooo great I make it as often as I canIf you haven't tried this you have no idea what you are missing
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.