Black Bean Tortilla Pie
Total TimePrep: 50 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) vegetable broth
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn, thawed
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 4 flour tortillas (8 inches)
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add green pepper, onion, cumin and pepper; cook and stir until vegetables are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in beans and broth. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced to about 1/3 cup, stirring occasionally. Stir in corn and green onions; remove from heat.
- Place 1 tortilla in a 9-in. springform pan coated with cooking spray. Layer with 1-1/2 cups bean mixture and 1/4 cup cheese. Repeat layers twice. Top with remaining tortilla. Place pan on a baking sheet.
- Bake, uncovered, until heated through, 15-20 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Loosen sides from pan with a knife; remove rim from pan. Cut into 6 wedges.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 353 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 842mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 8g fiber), 17g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
May 2, 2018
Made this for the family tonight, quick easy and very good. I did add extra cumin and next time I'll add some chopped cilantro. The trick is to allow the broth to reduce until there's very little liquid left in bottom of skillet. Will make this again. I served this with salsa and sour cream.
Mar 3, 2017
Very good with lots of flavor and I added jalapenos. ;)
Mar 2, 2017
Made this for a Lenten meal and it was fabulous! The house smelled so good and everyone loved it. The only thing I did differently was to add some finely chopped jalapeno because we love spicy, but other than that I made it exactly as the recipe and was perfect. Will be making this a lot! Don't forget the sour cream and salsa on top!
Feb 25, 2017
My husband and I thought that this recipe was great! It was very easy to prepare and tasted absolutely delicious...I can't wait to make it again!
Feb 8, 2017
Tasty and a fun idea, but ours was a little soggy and didn't absorb all the liquid. The only changes I made were to use whole wheat tortilas and chicken in place of one can of beans. I baked it 20 minutes, but maybe it needed longer?
Jun 13, 2014
I live in Germany so ended up using some slightly different ingredients, but I think it turned out really well. The biggest difference being using black beans canned in chili sauce and rinsing the chili sauce off which leaves some pleasantly seasoned black beans which I think really brought the recipe home. I'd definitely recommend this recipe, its very very good and will be used by my family from now on.
Feb 1, 2013
I made this last night in preparation for Lent, and found it delicious. I used onion/chili tortillas from Trader Joes, and used canned chilies instead of green peppers, and their frozen roasted corn, and twice as much cheese. I was afraid of the liquid, but it cooked down and the thing was solid and cut beautifully into large, filling wedges. I thought it wouldn't be enough for four people, but it's very filling. I would top with sour cream and pico de gallo. I will also add sliced black olives. I did add some extra cumin and red pepper because we like spicy. Overall, a great recipe for Lent and my husband who hates vegetarian dishes usually said I could make it any time.
Jul 3, 2012
My husband liked this recipe but I didn't care for it much
Jun 25, 2012
This was so delicious! Definitely will make again! I did add some cayenne pepper for some heat.
Apr 30, 2012
Very good and tasty recipe. My husband is not a fan of ground turkey but he actually requested that I make this again. I used whole wheat tortillas and I didn't have a springform pan, so I put it all in a cast iron pan in the oven. It worked perfectly!