Thanksgiving Green Beans
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 10 min.
Makes16 servings (3/4 cup each)
- 2 cups sour cream
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1 pound bacon strips, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 pounds fresh green beans, cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces (6 cups)
- 1 pound medium fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup slivered almonds, optional
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups onion and garlic salad croutons
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, combine sour cream, sugar, salt and dill weed. In a 6-qt. stockpot, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, bring 6 cups water to a boil. Add beans in batches; cook, uncovered, just until crisp-tender, 2-3 minutes. Drain.
- Remove bacon with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Discard drippings, reserving 6 tablespoons in pan. Add mushrooms, onions and, if desired, almonds to drippings; cook and stir over medium heat until mushrooms are tender, 4-6 minutes. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute longer. Remove from heat; stir in beans, bacon and croutons. Stir in sour cream mixture. Transfer to an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake until cheese is melted, 10-15 minutes.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 246 calories, 19g fat (9g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 468mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein.
Nov 20, 2019
Does this recipe do well made ahead
Dec 9, 2018
Much better than that canned and processed "Traditional" version commonly served by most folks. I'm pretty sure this will be even better next Summer when everything is fresh picked from our farm instead of our flash frozen Winter supply.