Celebration Green Beans
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup sliced onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Paprika, optional
- Place beans in a steamer basket; place in a saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 7-8 minutes or until crisp-tender. Transfer to a 2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Combine the oil, vinegar, salt and pepper; drizzle over beans and toss to coat. Set aside.
- In a small skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Remove from the heat; stir in bread crumbs and cheese. Sprinkle over beans. Sprinkle with paprika if desired.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until topping is lightly browned.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 82 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 120mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 3g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Mar 6, 2017
Delicious version of green beans. We loved this recipe. It will now be added to the Easter dinner menu. I used Panko bread crumbs.
Nov 9, 2011
I have made this for the past 2 Thanksgivings. We all love it!
Feb 1, 2010
This is a wonderful twist on the traditional green bean casserole. We used Pepperidge Farm seasoned bread crumbs and added 1 Tbsp of melted butter to them (omitted the saute onion step). Add 1 cup Parmesean and 1 cup bread crumbs for a more substantial topping. Topping was crispy and full of flavor. If you don't have a steamer basket, place beans, onions and garlic in glass dish and microwave on high for 6 minutes and then transfer to baking dish. Also, we used EVOO instead of canola. Dish was a hit on Thanksgiving! Everyone asked for the recipe, including the husbands.
Dec 31, 2009
This is fantastic. The beans are crisp and not mushy and have a tangy flavor. Thanks!
Oct 2, 2008
We are having these for dinner tonight with Jagerschnitzel and German bread dumplings. The beans smell so good! Can't wait to try them!