Celebration Green Beans
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup sliced onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Paprika, optional
- Place beans in a steamer basket; place in a saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 7-8 minutes or until crisp-tender. Transfer to a 2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Combine the oil, vinegar, salt and pepper; drizzle over beans and toss to coat. Set aside.
- In a small skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Remove from the heat; stir in bread crumbs and cheese. Sprinkle over beans. Sprinkle with paprika if desired.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until topping is lightly browned.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 82 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 120mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 3g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Mar 6, 2017
Delicious version of green beans. We loved this recipe. It will now be added to the Easter dinner menu. I used Panko bread crumbs.
Nov 9, 2011
I have made this for the past 2 Thanksgivings. We all love it!
Feb 1, 2010
This is a wonderful twist on the traditional green bean casserole. We used Pepperidge Farm seasoned bread crumbs and added 1 Tbsp of melted butter to them (omitted the saute onion step). Add 1 cup Parmesean and 1 cup bread crumbs for a more substantial topping. Topping was crispy and full of flavor. If you don't have a steamer basket, place beans, onions and garlic in glass dish and microwave on high for 6 minutes and then transfer to baking dish. Also, we used EVOO instead of canola. Dish was a hit on Thanksgiving! Everyone asked for the recipe, including the husbands.
Dec 31, 2009
This is fantastic. The beans are crisp and not mushy and have a tangy flavor. Thanks!
Oct 2, 2008
We are having these for dinner tonight with Jagerschnitzel and German bread dumplings. The beans smell so good! Can't wait to try them!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.