Elegant Green Beans
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Dash salt
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen French-style green beans, thawed
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup crushed French-fried onions
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small skillet, saute water chestnuts, onion and mushrooms in 2 tablespoons butter 4-5 minutes or until crisp-tender; set aside.
- In large skillet, melt remaining butter; stir in flour until smooth. Stir in milk, broth, soy sauce, pepper sauce and salt. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in green beans and cheese.
- Spoon half of the bean mixture into a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Layer with water chestnut mixture and remaining bean mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, 45 minutes. Top with French-fried onions. Bake 5 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 218 calories, 15g fat (8g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 392mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Jan 5, 2018
Better than regular green bean casserole, also less sodium (we use fresh mushrooms).. We have this every Thanksgiving. Someone asked if this can be made ahead of time. We make the sauce ahead of time, then on Thanksgiving, heat up the beans add the sauce, and Onions on top, If you make the whole thing ahead of time, wait to add onions as they get soggy.
Jan 1, 2018
I made this for Thanksgiving. I forgot to add the cheese, which I'm sure would have made it better but honestly, it was quite good without it. A great alternative to the green bean casserole we grew up with.
Dec 21, 2017
I made this to take to a friend's house for Thanksgiving and everyone loved and couldn't get enough!
Nov 5, 2017
Can you make this ahead of time?
Dec 17, 2016
This was good as far as green bean casseroles go!
Nov 24, 2016
Made this dish for the 1st thanksgiving after I married my husband 4-1/2 years ago, and was asked to make it again for Christmas and Easter! And every thanksgiving, christmas, and Easter after that... truly an amazing one! Water chestnut and soy sauce add new flavors to the traditional dish
Jan 4, 2016
I made this for Thanksgiving and everyone liked this dish very much. Will be making this green bean casserole for next Thanksgiving and tonight also!!!!
Nov 16, 2015
This was truly a magnificent dish, everyone at the table raved about it. Green Bean Casserole will finally be returned to the holiday table. Loved it to bits!
Apr 19, 2014
This was a hit at thanksgiving so we are making it again for Easter! The water chestnuts add that extra pizzaz!
Dec 22, 2013
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.