Green Beans German Style
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 10 min.
- 1 pound fresh green beans, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 bacon strips, diced
- 1 medium onion, quartered and sliced
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- Place beans in a saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels. Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. In the same skillet, saute onion in drippings until tender.
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, salt, mustard and water until smooth. Stir into onion. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in brown sugar and vinegar. Add the beans; heat thought. Sprinkle with bacon.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 160 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 280mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein.
Jun 27, 2017
Thisrrecipe remind me of German potato salad. The green beans is a nice twist.
Oct 17, 2015
This was really good! It was a nice new way to have green beans. We made them for our own little Oktoberfest and it went great with the brats and sauerkraut we bought from a German deli.
Apr 5, 2015
Just like grandma's!
Nov 3, 2012
What a yummy way to make beans.... I didn't have any bacon but it tasted good anyways!
Sep 30, 2010
This is such a great recipe. I was looking for a recipe to make green beans taste better and thanks to you, I found it. I will definately make this again
Apr 24, 2010
Excellent recipe. I made this with grilled halibut.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.