Fresh Spinach Tamale Pie
I got this recipe from my mother, who loved quick and easy meals for dinner. I made a few variations by adding spinach, bell peppers and fresh corn. The changes were well worth it––my family and friends love this dish!—Nancy Heishman, Las Vegas, Nevada
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 3 hours
- 8 frozen beef tamales, thawed
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 can (4 ounces) whole green chiles, drained and chopped
- 3 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 12 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Additional green onions, chopped
- Place tamales in a single layer in a greased 6-qt. slow cooker. In a large bowl, combine beans, corn, onions, olives and garlic powder; spoon over tamales. In same bowl, combine pepper, sour cream and chilies; spoon over bean mixture. Top with spinach.
- Cook, covered, on low until heated through, 3-4 hours. Sprinkle with bacon, cheese and additional green onions.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 459 calories, 24g fat (9g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 1013mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 7g fiber), 23g protein.
Originally published as Fresh Spinach-Tamale Pie in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.