Spinach Beef Pie
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup old-fashioned oats
- 7 tablespoons cold butter
- 2 to 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 large tomato, seeded and diced
- In a large bowl, combine flour and oats; cut in the butter until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Roll out dough to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer to plate; trim and flute edges.
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion, green pepper and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the ketchup and seasonings. Fold in the spinach; cool slightly. Stir in the eggs and 1 cup cheese until combined; spoon into crust.
- Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until the center is set. Sprinkle tomato and remaining cheese around edge of pie. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 5-10 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 430 calories, 27g fat (16g saturated fat), 174mg cholesterol, 736mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 24g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 29, 2019
Quick and easy! Well written. Can easily sub in additional ingredients to suit your taste. For a single person this can easily be 4 dinners or lunches when accompanied by fresh fruit or a nice salad.
Aug 30, 2014
This is great, but I don't like green bell peppers, I saute fresh mushroom and add a 4oz can of dices green chili
Dec 10, 2009
This dish is EXCELLENT! I'm not a fan usually of making homemade pie crust, but this went so smoothly I will definitely prepare it again.