Spinach Beef Macaroni Bake
Total TimePrep: 55 min. Bake: 25 min.
Makes2 casseroles (12 servings each)
- 5-1/4 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 large carrots, shredded
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large Dutch oven, cook the beef, onions, carrots and celery over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomatoes, salt, garlic powder, pepper and oregano. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Drain macaroni; add macaroni and spinach to beef mixture. Pour into two greased 3-qt. baking dishes. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 173 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 632mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 13g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 31, 2019
What is considered a "serving size" to achieve the nutritional numbers quoted?
Sep 21, 2017
I made 1/2 recipe last night and it turned out wonderful. DH is a chef who came home from the restaurant, ate 2 servings and advised to hold on to this recipe! This is from a man who has no compassion for casseroles! I followed the recipe except spinach wasn't thawed so when the pasta was done I added to the boiling water, quick stir and drained spinach and pasta together. I also mixed parmesan cheese into casserole, put the lid on and baked for 25 mins, removed lid, sprinkled with mozzarella cheese and baked additional 15 mins. Thank you Lois for a wonderful recipe that we will make again!
Apr 21, 2016
This was not outstanding but good. I will make it again adding more spices. As some of the previous reviewers I also halved this recipe and used fresh spinach.
Oct 2, 2015
Pretty good. I made 1/4 of the recipe. In the future I would use less spinach, add some tomato sauce, and cover during baking. Crushed red pepper would be good too. It took me more like 1 1/2 hours to prepare.
Jul 29, 2015
We really enjoyed this recipe. This can easily be cut in half or make a full recipe and freeze the other half for another day. I would like to try it with substituting a can of tomato sauce for one of the cans of diced tomatoes.
Jul 26, 2015
This dish became very tasty after I added a 12 oz jar of chili sauce.
Jul 19, 2015
Jillknit - When a recipe calls for cooked fresh spinach, 1 pound of fresh spinach will yield 10-12 cups of torn leaves, which will cook down to about 1 cup. One package (10 ounces) of frozen spinach leaves yields about 1-1/2 cups after cooking. Hope this helps!!
Jul 19, 2015
Any help for amonts and directions for adding fresh spinach? I would appreciate any suggestions.
Jan 24, 2014
Dec 14, 2009
I cut recipe in half to make for my family. Even those that don't like spinach love this recipe!