Spinach Beef Macaroni Bake
Total TimePrep: 55 min. Bake: 25 min.
Makes2 casseroles (12 servings each)
- 5-1/4 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 large carrots, shredded
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large Dutch oven, cook the beef, onions, carrots and celery over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomatoes, salt, garlic powder, pepper and oregano. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Drain macaroni; add macaroni and spinach to beef mixture. Pour into two greased 3-qt. baking dishes. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 173 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 632mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 13g protein.
Feb 25, 2020
Ok so I made this tonight, it smelled so good and looked so good, BUT it was missing something it was very dry, is it supposed to be dry..I added some sour cream to my bowl it was OK, then I tried mild sales naaaaah didn't taste right.... Did I do something wrong???? ??
Feb 10, 2020
This was vvery good. Cut carrots in small chunks. Reduced the ingredients somewhat, there is only 2 of us. And used fresh spinach. My husband said it was a keeper. Thank you.
Feb 7, 2020
Yum! We halved the recipe and used fresh spinach instead of frozen. Great flavor! We really enjoyed dinner tonight.
Jan 31, 2020
How do I cut this recipe in half when the numbers wouldn't be even?? Anyone??
Dec 30, 2019
Excellent! Very tasty dish light in calories.
Jun 21, 2019
i really liked this dish and so did my family, except I thought two pkgs of Spinach was too much, so next time I will only use one
Jan 31, 2019
What is considered a "serving size" to achieve the nutritional numbers quoted?
Sep 21, 2017
I made 1/2 recipe last night and it turned out wonderful. DH is a chef who came home from the restaurant, ate 2 servings and advised to hold on to this recipe! This is from a man who has no compassion for casseroles! I followed the recipe except spinach wasn't thawed so when the pasta was done I added to the boiling water, quick stir and drained spinach and pasta together. I also mixed parmesan cheese into casserole, put the lid on and baked for 25 mins, removed lid, sprinkled with mozzarella cheese and baked additional 15 mins. Thank you Lois for a wonderful recipe that we will make again!
Apr 21, 2016
This was not outstanding but good. I will make it again adding more spices. As some of the previous reviewers I also halved this recipe and used fresh spinach.
Oct 2, 2015
Pretty good. I made 1/4 of the recipe. In the future I would use less spinach, add some tomato sauce, and cover during baking. Crushed red pepper would be good too. It took me more like 1 1/2 hours to prepare.