Broccoli Mac & Cheese Bake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 3 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cans (12 ounces each) evaporated milk
- 2-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup crushed cornbread-flavored crackers (about 6 crackers)
- Cook macaroni according to package directions, adding broccoli during the last 3-4 minutes; drain.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper and salt until smooth; gradually stir in evaporated milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in 2 cups cheese.
- Place half of the macaroni and broccoli in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with half of the cheese sauce. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with cracker crumbs and remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° until bubbly, 20-25 minutes.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 335 calories, 21g fat (12g saturated fat), 61mg cholesterol, 331mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 13g protein.
Sep 27, 2015
Very tasty! Will definitely make this again and again.
Jan 29, 2015
This was fairly bland for sure. I don't think I'll make this again.
Sep 20, 2014
This is pretty good! I used Ritz crackers. I'll make it again, but probably not for company. Good as a last minute thing. Usually have all of the ingredients on hand!
Dec 11, 2013
So easy to make and my kids ate all of it. I'll definitely be making this dish again.
Dec 3, 2013
I added 1/2 cup of Parmesan because I only had 2 cups of cheddar. I also added 1 plank of salmon (cooked and shredded). Instead of layering it, I mixed all the ingredients together. And I used garlic butter Keebler crackers. It turned out great!
Jan 17, 2013
Great recipe-so easy to put together. I love the addition of broccoli to the mix too. I didn't have corn bread crackers, so I used crushed whole wheat crackers-they worked great.It's not one I'll make often because it's so rich and not very figure friendly, but when we're in the mood for a decadent mac and cheese? I'll be reaching for this recipe again.
Jan 17, 2011
Excellent recipe- this will be my go-to anytime I want to make homemade mac & cheese. I used crushed Ritz crackers instead of cornbread crackers and it was delicious. For those that think it may be bland, sprinkle some red pepper flakes on. I always use them on any mac & cheese I eat.
Nov 29, 2010
This recipe looks appealing, but it exceeds a day's limit in saturated fat for just a 3/4 cup serving ! Fat free evaporated milk, reduced fat cheese and a trans fat free margarine can be used as acceptable substitutes.
Nov 12, 2010
This recipe turned out really well. I added 3 cups of ham in it. I couldn't find any cornbread flavored crackers so I used seasoned bread crumbs. I also didn't put in any salt because the ham had enough and I used Mrs. Dash onion seasoning instead of onion powder. I will be making this dish again for sure!
Oct 29, 2010
I do not use the broccoli. I add cheddar cheese and sharp cheddar. I also add Velveeta. Great and cheesier.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.