Broccoli Pasta Bake
“I came up with this recipe in the middle of broccoli season, using ingredients I had on hand,” writes Evelyn Peterson of Corvallis, Montana. “My family loves this light and pleasing casserole.”
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 12 ounces uncooked spaghetti
- 8 cups chopped fresh broccoli
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) reduced-fat reduced-sodium condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 can (8 ounces) whole water chestnuts, drained, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 can (3.8 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup sunflower kernels
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions for 7 minutes. Add broccoli; return to a boil. Cook 2 minutes longer or until spaghetti is tender; drain.
- In a large bowl, combine soup and milk. Add the mushrooms, onion, water chestnuts, olives, salt, pepper and 1 cup cheese. Stir in spaghetti and broccoli.
- Transfer to a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray (dish will be full). Cover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with sunflower kernels and remaining cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through and cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 369 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 942mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 5g fiber), 17g protein.
Originally published as Broccoli Sunrise in Light & Tasty February/March 2007
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.