Broccoli Bean Pasta
Writes John Aramanda of Beaufort, North Carolina, "I enjoy creating new recipes out of old ones—this is a variation on macaroni and cheese. My mother gets this credit for all my cooking successes. She started me out at age 5."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 10 cups water
- 6 ounces uncooked small pasta shells
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2/3 cup white wine or vegetable broth
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add pasta; cook for 7 minutes. Add broccoli; cook 4-5 minutes longer or until pasta and broccoli are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, saute garlic in oil for 1 minute. Add the beans, wine and pepper flakes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 7-8 minutes or until slightly reduced.
- Drain pasta and broccoli; keep warm. Combine cornstarch, salt and milk until smooth; stir into bean mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Add pasta mixture; toss to coat. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 361 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 461mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 6g fiber), 16g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 1-1/2 fat, 1 lean meat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Broccoli Bean Pasta in Light & Tasty October/November 2002