Broccoli Bean Pasta
Writes John Aramanda of Beaufort, North Carolina, "I enjoy creating new recipes out of old ones—this is a variation on macaroni and cheese. My mother gets this credit for all my cooking successes. She started me out at age 5."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 10 cups water
- 6 ounces uncooked small pasta shells
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2/3 cup white wine or vegetable broth
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add pasta; cook for 7 minutes. Add broccoli; cook 4-5 minutes longer or until pasta and broccoli are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, saute garlic in oil for 1 minute. Add the beans, wine and pepper flakes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 7-8 minutes or until slightly reduced.
- Drain pasta and broccoli; keep warm. Combine cornstarch, salt and milk until smooth; stir into bean mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Add pasta mixture; toss to coat. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 361 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 461mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 6g fiber), 16g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 1-1/2 fat, 1 lean meat.
Originally published as Broccoli Bean Pasta in Light & Tasty October/November 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.