Broccoli-Cauliflower Cheese Bake
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 7 cups fresh cauliflowerets
- 6 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3-3/4 cups fat-free milk
- 1-1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- Place cauliflower and broccoli in a Dutch oven; add 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3-5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain; transfer to a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- In small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, mustard, salt, nutmeg, cayenne and pepper until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in 1-1/4 cups each mozzarella and Swiss cheeses until melted. Pour over vegetables. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until bubbly. Sprinkle with remaining cheeses. Bake 5 minutes longer or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 132 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 252mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 high-fat meat, 1 vegetable.
Sep 25, 2019
Made this tonight for dinner. Added chicken tenderloins! Served over rice. Subbed cheddar for the Swiss. Added sautéed onions in the sauce which was very easy to make. Received compliments from everyone who ate. Will make again.
Apr 11, 2016
Flavors were good - I liked the addition of cayenne pepper and nutmeg. I didn't change or modify anything. Originally found this in my cookbook, "Taste of Home Best Loved Healthy Recipes" - I'd certainly make this again.
Oct 16, 2012
I made a recipe for 4. I doubled the spices, butter, flour, and mustard; used 1 cup milk and 1 1 /2 ounces of each cheese. The reviews said it was a little bland, well it was still a little bland but okay for a one time prep.
Apr 8, 2012
This was a nice change from our traditional cheesy veggies. But the kids didnt care for the cayenne. Will probably omit that next time!
Nov 5, 2011
Where did the beautiful casserole dish in the picture come from? The casserole was great. I added a little extra (Mrs. Dash Southwest Chipotle for our taste).
Dec 29, 2010
My family really enjoyed this dish - The ONLY thing I did different was use parm instead of swiss since we don't care for swiss - I've been asked to make it again for New Years Day.
Nov 30, 2010
I like how you used this recipe otherwise to suit your preferences! Happy Cooking, Jenn
Nov 30, 2010
Sorry you feel as you do about this recipe, we do have our own taste buds, change it up to suit you! Thanks for commenting though...happy cooking, Jenn
Nov 26, 2010
With the veggies and cheese, I didn't think there was any way this wouldn't be good. But I thought there might be too much milk in proportion to the flour. Sure enough, the sauce didn't thicken enough and was soupy even after baked. Like the others, I also thought taste was a little bland. But I didn't want to throw out such a huge amount of food, so the next day, I sauteed some onion in butter, added the leftever casserole and chicken broth to thin. Then I used the immersion blender to puree, and made cream of broccoli/cauliflower soup. Not bad!
Nov 8, 2010
Bland and too much cheese. Not worth making