Crumb-Topped Broccoli Bake
Broccoli is one of the main crops grown in this area. This recipe has pleased just about everyone who has tried it, including some who said they didn't like broccoli. —Hope Huggins, Santa Cruz, California
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 jar (8 ounces) process cheese sauce
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen broccoli cuts
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup crushed butter-flavored crackers (about 12 crackers), divided
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in cheese sauce until smooth. Remove from heat.
- Cook broccoli according to package directions; drain and place in a bowl. Add the cheese sauce mixture, eggs, 1/4 cup cracker crumbs, salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish; sprinkle with remaining cracker crumbs. Place dish in a larger baking pan. Fill pan with hot water to a depth of 1 in. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 252 calories, 17g fat (10g saturated fat), 142mg cholesterol, 772mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 10g protein.
Sep 29, 2014
The consistency of the casserole was a little thick, but the flavor was good.
Nov 7, 2009
I made this for my family several weeks ago and my family absolutely loved it. I will be keeping this recipe.