Crumb-Topped Summer Squash Casserole
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 6 small yellow summer squash (3 pounds), cut into chunks
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs, divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place squash in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil; boil, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain well, pressing squash to remove excess liquid. In a bowl, mash squash. Stir in eggs, 1/2 cup bread crumbs, sugar, onion, salt and pepper until blended.
- Transfer to a 1-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, 20 minutes. Toss remaining bread crumbs with butter; sprinkle over the top. Bake 20-30 minutes or until golden.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 101 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 246mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Jun 21, 2012
I thought that I didn't really like squash until I tried this!! The only thing I changed was: I only used 1 tablespoon of sugar and I used Italian Bread Crumbs because that's all I had. It was delicious!!
Jun 5, 2012
My family doesn't care for sweet summer squash, so I substituted 2 T Parmesan cheese for the 2 T sugar. Also, I halved the recipe. Good!
Aug 8, 2010
This is the best yellow squash casserole ever! The entire family loved it and my picky little son asked for seconds! This one's a keeper! Recipe always requested at potlocks.
May 30, 2010
Fabulous! A family favorite for years! No matter where I bring this wonderful casserole, everyone requests the recipe! This ones a keeper. Even my picky little son loves it!
Dec 5, 2009
This turned out perfectly with just 1 egg instead of 2. I used a medium diced onion and maybe a bit more bread crumbs. It got rave reviews at Thanksgiving.
Jul 24, 2009
If I make this again I will omit the sugar. It was very sweet.
Sep 28, 2008
This is a terrific squash recipe: it's fairly simple, delicious, and fast. You can't go wrong!