Crumb Topped Apple Pie
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling Bake: 1 hour
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 5 large tart apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 5 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in the shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Wrap in plastic. Refrigerate for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 450°. Roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges.
- For filling, place apples in crust. Combine the sugar, flour and cinnamon; sprinkle over apples.
- For topping, combine flour and sugar in a small bowl; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over filling. Bake 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 50-60 minutes or until topping is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 443 calories, 18g fat (7g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 189mg sodium, 68g carbohydrate (41g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 25, 2016
Quick and easy!
Jan 31, 2016
This pie is so good! I add an extra tablespoon of butter to the topping, otherwise follow the recipe exactly. Thank you for sharing this delicious apple pie recipe.
Jan 25, 2016
This pie was very delicious, and was also pretty easy to prepare. We love pies with a crumb topping, so we loved this one! I did however, cut down a bit on the flour, since I used Granny Smith apples (which don't release a lot of juice). I added a sprinkle of nutmeg, and also a few grains of salt into the apple mixture (because that's what my mom always did, and her pies were incredible!)
Oct 25, 2015
Made this yesterday. Absolutely delicious. Wonderful to try a five star recipe that lives up to five stars. A great addition to my file.
Oct 6, 2015
I love how easy this is to make and how delicious it comes out! Well, I guess I shouldn't say it's easy because I bought pie crusts.. :P But I have to eat gluten-free so I used gluten-free pie crust and gluten-free all-purpose flour. Works beautifully, tastes so good. I've made two in the past week or so and a third is in the oven right now for my boyfriend's mom and family. The first two I used Michigan macintosh apples, the third is with Michigan honeycrisp apples and it smells great baking. I also mixed about 2 tbsp of butter with the apple slices before putting them in the crust. Thanks for the awesome recipe! (I joined just so I could comment on this :)
Sep 30, 2015
I have made this pie for our annual Labor Day barbecue. It is always the first dessert to go so I make 2 pies.
Sep 27, 2015
I've been making this apple pie for years now and it is the BEST!!
Aug 21, 2015
Delicious! My best girl friend, who is a dessert connoisseuse called this pie "blue ribbon." Used Granny Smith apples.
Mar 21, 2015
I first tried this pie when I saw it in a TOH magazine ( I forget the year) I've made it every time I want a 1 crust pie, it is the best 1 crust apple pie ever. However I still prefer MY 2 crust when I want a 2 crust.p. s. Mrs. Olson's story is amazing. Thank you Mrs. Olson.
Dec 20, 2014
I make baked goods for work all the time. A girl at worked requested an apple pie for her birthday. So I decided to go with this one. I got 3 thumbs up, if that's even possible :). So after she raved about it, along with her family, I decided to make one for myself around Turkey Day. Needless to say, it certainly didnt last long :(. This had to be the best apple pie I have ever had. Will be making it for the Christmas holiday as well.I highly recommend!!!