Cauliflower-Broccoli Cheese Bake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 50 min. + standing
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 package (8 ounces) process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 packages (12 ounces each) frozen broccoli-cauliflower blend, thawed
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a Dutch oven, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender, 2-3 minutes. Stir in flour until blended; gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Stir in cheese and salt until cheese is melted.
- Remove from heat. Gradually whisk in eggs. Stir in vegetable blend. Transfer to a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake, uncovered, until set, 50-60 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 170 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 95mg cholesterol, 461mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.
Mar 7, 2018
A winner! I turned it into more of a main dish by putting a layer of sliced mushrooms on the bottom and strips of pre-cooked bacon on the top. I also substituted shredded cheddar for the cheese and cream for the milk. It was a nice, rich dish that was easy to make and re-heated well, too!
Mar 3, 2018
I made this dish 2/16/18. The only 2 changes were: I used 1 cup milk and 1 lb. cauliflower-broccoli blend thawed in my microwave. This dish is delicious and a real recipe keeper!
Feb 26, 2018
Great dish. Very easy, making cheese sauce versus using a soup makes the difference. Dish is very light and tasty whether using Velveeta or cheddar cheese.
Jan 26, 2018
This is an excellent side dish, although you could add sausage or chicken and make it a main dish. Easy to prepare. I used shredded cheddar cheese instead of velveeta and it worked fine. Delish!