Broccoli Beef Pie
I received this recipe from my daughter-in-law. It makes a delicious dish for a potluck—everyone loves it!—Marie Giegerich, Dubuque, Iowa
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 2 cups chopped fresh broccoli
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a small saucepan bring 1 in. of water to a boil. Add broccoli; cover and boil for 3-5 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in mushrooms, 1-1/2 cups cheddar cheese and onion. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Combine the biscuit mix and water to form a soft dough. Add remaining cheddar cheese; stir until blended. With well-floured hands, pat dough onto the bottom and 1 in. up the sides of a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- Spoon meat mixture over dough; top with broccoli. Combine the eggs, milk, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper; pour over broccoli. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 492 calories, 29g fat (16g saturated fat), 193mg cholesterol, 993mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 33g protein.
Originally published as Broccoli Beef Pie in Country Ground Beef
May 6, 2012
The title is a bit deceiving, but technically accurate. I would just recommend calling a quiche a quiche next time. It was definitely a good recipe and a good use for ground beef.