Ham and Spinach Pie
With the exception of the phyllo dough, which I always have on hand, this ham and spinach pie recipe is made entirely from Easter dinner leftovers. One of my neighbors traded me four freshly caught trout for a slice! —Teena Petrus, Johnstown, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 8 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 6 sheets phyllo dough (14x9 inches)
- 2 cups finely chopped fully cooked ham
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- Salt and pepper to taste, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir until transparent 6-8 minutes. Add mushrooms and garlic; cook and stir until mushrooms are browned, about 6 minutes longer. Add spinach; cook until heated through.
- In a microwave, melt remaining butter; stir until smooth. Place 1 sheet of phyllo dough on a work surface; brush with butter. Layer with 3 additional phyllo sheets, brushing each layer. Transfer to a lightly greased 11x7-in. baking dish, letting ends extend up sides. (Keep remaining phyllo covered with a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.)
- Layer dish with ham, cheese and spinach mixture; pour eggs over filling. If desired, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Top with remaining phyllo dough. Fold dough ends over filling; pinch edges to seal. Brush with remaining butter. Cut slits in the top. Bake until browned, 40-45 minutes. Cool 20 minutes before cutting.