Slow-Roasted Root Vegetables
When she was a little girl growing up in Italy, my Aunt Virginia learned to make a dish called “Noodles and Nuts.” I tried the topping on carrots and parsnips instead of noodles and haven't looked back. —Terri Collins, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 5 hours
- 2 pounds fresh baby carrots
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds medium parsnips
- 2 tablespoons seasoned bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 3 tablespoons grated Romano cheese, optional
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine first six ingredients. Cut parsnips crosswise into 2-in. pieces. Cut thinner pieces in half; cut thicker into quarters. Stir into carrot mixture.
- Cook, covered, on low until tender, 5-6 hours. To serve, stir in bread crumbs; sprinkle with walnuts and, if desired, cheese.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 158 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 263mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fat, 1 starch.
Originally published as Root Vegetables with Walnuts in Simple & Delicious October/November 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.