Spiced Pear Muffins
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
Makes2 dozen mini muffins or 16 regular muffins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (8 ounces) plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped peeled pears (about 2 medium)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. In another bowl, beat the egg, yogurt, oil and molasses until smooth. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in pears, raisins and walnuts.
- Fill greased or paper-lined miniature muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 400° for 10-12 minutes or until muffins test done. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm.
Editor's NoteEditor's Note: If using regular size muffins cups, bake for ?-? minutes. Please copy and paste to use as a trailer--and replace the proper timing in the ?s.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 276 calories, 12g fat (2g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 225mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 19, 2015
Excellent! This is a moist and flavorful muffin. I used all my batter to fill a dozen muffins, so they were big and beautiful. I did substitute diced candied ginger in place of raisins, and used sour cream in place of yogurt.
Dec 14, 2013
I have made this recipe at least 5 times already...I had joined a CSA (community supported agriculture) and was getting boxes of fruits and veggies delivered every week. After a while I had so many apples and pears I was running out of ideas and I didn't want to do a dessert that would just tempt my family to consume unwanted calories. These muffins made for a tasty breakfast idea with a great ginger and spice flavor! I used the pear flavored Chobani brand of Greek Yogurt instead of plain and diced up some candy ginger to add to the batter. With one batch I also used dried cranberries instead of raisins and I usually sprinkle a little sugar in the raw and cinnamon on top. Instead of cupcake sized pan, you could use the big muffin tins for meal sized muffins or minis for a snack size...Just some ideas to play around with!!!
Sep 27, 2013
These muffins are so tasty! The house smells of autumn as they bake. I plan to include some of these muffins in a large gift basket for a silent auction at our church. I'm certain whoever wins the bid for it will love these muffins. I made them without any changes. Yummy!
Oct 2, 2011
Love Them!!!Even KIDS love them. I was shocked.