Spiced Banana Nut Muffins
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2 to 3 medium)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Combine the egg, egg substitute, bananas, applesauce and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Coat muffin cups with cooking spray; fill two-thirds full with batter. Sprinkle with nuts. Bake at 375° for 15-18 minutes or until muffins spring back when lightly touched. Cook for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 207 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 177mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 3, 2019
this is a healthy version for eating light with the applesauce and low amount of sugar we loved them
Apr 11, 2013
There's not nutmeg in this recipe so I'm not sure what the previous reviewer meant. Anyway, for being healthy, these are pretty good! I used pecans instead of walnuts, whole wheat flour, and 2 eggs because I had no egg substitute on hand.~ Theresa
Jun 27, 2012
Not a lot of flavor and there was too much nutmeg. I would add more sugar and cinnamon to the mix.
Apr 7, 2009
Very good recipe!! I had to cut in 1/2 for just hubby & myself. And he couldn't say enough how much he liked these muffins!! (I didn't tell him they were healthy :) ) Thanks for sharing! MMMM good!