Spiced Squash Muffins
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup mashed cooked butternut squash
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 teaspoons cold butter
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In another bowl, combine the eggs, squash, corn syrup, butter, oil and vanilla; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourth full. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar and cinnamon; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over batter.
- Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 296 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 259mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 1, 2018
Excellent! Very similar to my Pumpkin Cake. A great way to use up leftover squash.
Feb 25, 2018
These are really good muffins - not overly sweet at all! I apparently didn't mash my squash very well (despite mashing it AND using my food processor) because I found a couple small chunks of squash in my muffin. I used dark brown sugar, and it worked out fine. The topping was only slightly crunchy for me, but that's ok. I feel like the topping brought out the other spices in the muffin. Instead of a dozen regular sized muffins, I made 6 jumbo muffins. They took about 22 minutes in the oven. Very yummy, I'd make these again!
Nov 20, 2017
I used canned pumpkin and the muffins turned out good. They were moist and I liked the flavoring from the spices. My topping wasn't crunchy after they baked but it didn't affect the taste for me.
Jul 1, 2017
These squash muffin turned out perfect!! We will be fixing these again!! They are so moist!!
Feb 28, 2015
These muffins are wonderful! They reminded me of my grandma, who really enjoyed baking with winter squash. Definitely a "keeper" recipe and I can't wait to make them again!
Aug 20, 2013
I did not have cooked butternut squash so I used regular yellow squash. I also used coconut flour and 1 tsp of xanthan gum to make these muffins gluten free.
Jul 21, 2013
WOW! These are absolutely delicious!!! Change nothing!
Jun 26, 2013
I experimented and made these muffins with the yellow squash that I had an abundance of. I also added a cup of chopped apple and subbed coconut oil for the canola oil. They are so very tasty! They really seem like apple spice muffins that happen to also have squash in them. Another reviewer said you really needed butternut squash, but I disagree. My two year old is gobbling them up now.
Feb 18, 2012
These were so good! Must try.
Jan 14, 2012
Very YUMMY! These muffins disappeared as quick as they came out of the pan.