Ginger Pear Bread
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (12 slices each)
- 4 medium pears, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 teaspoons packed brown sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, drizzle pears with lemon juice; set aside.
- In another large bowl, combine the flours, sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger and cinnamon. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, oil and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in pear mixture.
- Transfer to two 8x4-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining brown sugar. Bake at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 175 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 195mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 20, 2012
Glad it has been enjoyed!
Oct 26, 2012
Very nice moist bread!
Jan 24, 2012
My husband and I loved this recipe! I used larger chunks of pear and it worked great. Will definitely make this again!
Jan 18, 2012
Delicious!!! the whole family ate it!!!
Jan 15, 2012
Very tasty bread. The outside was nicely browned and the inside moist and slightly crumbly. The pear chunks and spices made it perfect.
Dec 18, 2011
Simply wonderful! The family loved it. Will make it again often.